Here at the Fiddler, it’s not only the local Ales that have strange and wonderful tales attached to them…
Only a short walk up from our pub is a dwelling named “Cave Gate”. At Cave Gate was a disused chalk pit from which the Devil’s Hole led by a tunnel to Anstey Castle dungeons.
Anyone entering it would not emerge alive. In 1870 after drinking at the Chequers (Anstey) the blind fiddler, George,swore he would go the length of the tunnel.At Cave Gate,down the hole went George tugging his dog on a lead. The villagers followed the sound of his fiddle beneath their feet halfway to the castle when there was a shriek, the fiddling stopped. They ran back to the entrance to see the tailless singed dog dash out and vanish.George was not seen again.
Next day they filled in the hole.About 1880 an iron door was found under water set in the side of the castle moat.In 1904 part of the Cave Gate tunnel was explored.